qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: Best way to get 6GB = 3 x 2GB + soft raid?

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: Best way to get 6GB = 3 x 2GB + soft raid?
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 18:42:19 -0400

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 11:30:11PM +0200, Ronald wrote:
> Le Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:15:57 +0100, Ross Kendall Axe a ?crit?:
>

> > Ronald wrote:
> > | Le Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:17:22 -0400, Garth Dahlstrom a ?crit :
> > |

> > | The next limitation could be your file system if you are using fat with
> > | an old windows that is 4G, don't know about ntfs.
> >
> > 2GB actually on FAT32, regardless of Windows version. If the OP is using a
> > 'doze version that's so old as to not support FAT32, he's screwed anyway
> > really. I believe NTFS can do better, at least in recent versions.
> >

> I think that the 2Gb limitation is true only with linux vfat drivers and
> win can write files =< 4Gb on fat32.

2GB limit does exist, but its only for fat16.

Last I checked, Linux vfat has a limit of 2GB. But this is because Linux driver
hasn't been updated for new largefile api, and is not a limitation of the
filesystem itself. (Linux/x86 used to have file size limit of 2GB regardless
of filesystem but that has changed with 2.4)

> This is what is said here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32.asp

That didn't work for me. This did:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32.asp

(BTW that web page doesn't mention linux at all.)