qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Win2K Problems, qemu crashes host system

From: Joe Batt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Win2K Problems, qemu crashes host system
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:55:03 -0500

I had serious stability problems with VMWare on my Dell 1600sc with ECC
memory.  memtest found nothing, but after installing some tool from dell
that dumped out system logs, it turned out to be a memory fault.
Crucial took a return with no problem.

You may want to test memory with another tool.  Emulators and
virtualizers use lot of memory that might not otherwise be tested.

Now my last set of crashes were due to bad X drivers.  After days of
running memtest and thrashing about in Dell support forums, I realized
that my apt database was bad and that I was running an inconsistent X
configuration.

All of my Linux system crashes can be attributed to bad X drivers and
memory errors.

Joe