qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Help with tun/tap with qemu

From: Antony T Curtis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Help with tun/tap with qemu
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:52:13 +0100

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 16:50, Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
> > So I am trying TUN/TAP.  The guest and host OS can ping each other.
> > However, the guest OS cannot ping any other host
>
> If the setup on Linux is any similar to that on FreeBSD (and I am sure
> it is), the problem probably is routing. The guest and host are on
> different networks. So, you need to tell your host to forward packets to
> and from the guest's network. You didn't have that problem in slirp,
> because slirp bridges between the two networks for you, it implicitly
> does the forwarding.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to add the route under Linux due to
> my lack of experience with that platform.
>
> - Bartosz

When I am using TAP on FreeBSD, I use ng_bridge so the guest is on the
same network as the host.

Info for configuring ng_bridge is in
/usr/share/examples/netgraph/ether.bridge

--
Antony T Curtis, BSc.                   UNIX, Linux, *BSD, Networking
address@hidden            C++, J2EE, Perl, MySQL, Apache