qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] amd pcnet works with ecos/x86

From: Antony T Curtis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] amd pcnet works with ecos/x86
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:03:03 +0100

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 12:20, Jani Monoses wrote:
> Hello Anthony
>
> I used your patch since ecos support PCNet and not NE2000 and it works
> fine(i.e resists ping floods)
> One thing which I needed to modify in ecos was the checking of ANR register
> PHYSSTAT_LINK before send.It would not send anything thinking the link is
> downso I simply commented the check out.

Ok - I have looked at the ecos code and it is accessing registers which
do not exist on the AMD PCNet-II chip which I have emulated.

It is using the MII registers which only exist on the AMD PCNet-Pro chip

I wonder if ecos would behave properly on a real PCNet-II controller
which does not have a MII...

> I see linux does not use those regs either but another method for checking
> link status, but will have to look at the spec to see what exactly.

The only way to check link status on PCNet/PCNet-II chips is via the BCR
registers - by programming and polling the LED status.

--
Antony T Curtis, BSc.                   UNIX, Linux, *BSD, Networking
address@hidden            C++, J2EE, Perl, MySQL, Apache