qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Performances on Mac OS X

From: Joshua Root
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Performances on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:55:45 +1000

Roine Gustafsson wrote:
Joshua Root address@hidden wrote:

I have tried compiling qemu with xlc and it chokes on the asm. I believe that it uses a different syntax than gcc for this. I don't know what its syntax is, but if anybody does it shouldn't be too hard to make a patch which lets it compile.

xlc is picky with the source and takes FOREVER to compile with -O6. However,
xlc is object compatible with gcc, so usually you just use xlc on core stuff
that needs the speed, and gcc for everything else.

Just for the record, here's a list of things in the qemu source which xlc doesn't like:

* __asm__
* this sort of thing: asm volatile ("dcbst 0,%0" : : "r"(ptr) : "memory");
* "..." notation in switch cases
* macros with variable number of arguments
* array definitions with no size specified

Cheers,
Josh