qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu for x86 plugins on PPC?

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu for x86 plugins on PPC?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:54:46 +0100

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 15:40, Wim Vanderbauwhede wrote:
> Hi qemu-guru's,
>
> Would it be possible to use qemu to have x86 plugins work in a PPC
> browser? The plugins for mozilla are .so shared libraries, so I imagine
> that it should be possible based on usermode qemu-i386.
> A Flash-plugin for mozilla on PPC is a kind of holy grail, it would be
> great if qemu could provide this.

I don't think this is going to work.
Shared objects (.so) are quite tightly tied into the main executable. For
example they're likely to share memory structures, with no cleanly defined
interface between them.  You're effectively asking qemu link together code
compiled for two (very) different targets into a single executable.

By contrast the linux syscall layer emulated by qemu-user is clean, well
defined, and relatively simple.

However, you should be able to run x86 mozilla with x86 plugins under qemu on
a PPC machine. I haven't tried this.

Paul