qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] newbie trying to connect linux host -> windows guest fi

From: Joe Menola
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] newbie trying to connect linux host -> windows guest filesystem
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:10:50 -0500

On Tue August 24 2004 7:49 pm, David Hoare wrote:
> Hi all!
> Congratulations on such a cool piece of software. I am new to the linux
> world, and currently investigating both VMware and alternatives to keep
> some of my unique windows apps alive...
>
> Currently qemu is running fine under Linux (suse 9.1) with a windows 98
> guest image.  The guest system (98) can access the internet fine, as can
> the host system. I would like to be able to access one system's files
> from the other (either direction would work...).
> I understand from the few threads I could find that it has something to
> do with samba and a network connection, and to that end I have the samba
> server running on the linux host's side, but don't know where to go from
> here...?

Basically you need to setup a tun networking device. There are various ways to
go about this, which is best for you is impossible to determine.

I'd suggest searching the mail list archives on "tun" and/or "tun0" "tap"
tap0".
After determining an approach, and if required, post back with more specific
questions.

-jm