qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pcap-based networking?

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pcap-based networking?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:28:31 -0700

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 23:08, Mike Tremoulet wrote:

> So, having said all that, is there a quickstart guide to understanding
> the structure/design of the current qemu code?  I'm going to have to
> learn the guts of pcap programming, remember how c actually works, and
> basically come up to speed on a lot of things.

No. There's lots of code. Some documentation. But 95% of the code (and
the documentation) doesn't have anything to do with networking. Just
focus on the sections that matter to you. As you come up against
problems, get your copy of K&R, ask someone on IRC, or if it's QEMU
specific ask here on the list.

The pcap stuff is just a library/API. Any API takes some time to learn,
but at least you have the source if the API documentation is
problematic.

Anyway half the reason for working with Free Software is that when I
invest time to learn something, I can actually take that knowledge with
me and apply it anywhere I go without worrying about violating someone's
trade secrets or proprietary intellectual property. At the risk of being
patronizing, my advice if you want to be a good FOSS programmer is never
be afraid of learning anything. Don't plan to think about starting to do
something... just jump in and get it done.

-- John.