qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-darwin-user

From: Ian Rogers
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-darwin-user
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:25:37 +0100

Hi,

I think there will be a fundamental limit you reach with this work. The reason being the mach messages can contain pointers to data structures which the kernel fills in. If the pointers are in the wrong endian then the kernel will do something to the application. You can write code to perform transformations on pointers for all the messages you can find documentation on, but some systems will be entirely closed (for example, microsofts messages). Of course you could emulate both the server and the application, but I think you will need a lot of kernel jiggery pokery still. I believe this is the same problem that stops Mac OS X being in a 64bit memory space. You basically need different messages for every kind of pointer you can have. Apple estimated it would take 6months to write support for all those messages, but they revised that up to 2 years iirc. 64 bit OS X applications send 32bit messages currently and pointers to datastructures must appear within the first 4Gb as a consequence. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Hope this is of help,

Ian

Pierre d'Herbemont wrote:

Jocelyn,

I am interested by your code, is there a place where I can get it?

Pierre.