qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] eth0 problems

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] eth0 problems
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:33:35 -0400

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 07:18:38PM -0500, Joe Menola wrote:
> On Sat August 28 2004 6:04 pm, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> > No, the /etc/qemu-ifup does not exist and my host eth0 is there but the
> > guest linux.img eth0 does not show. Only the "lo" loopback.
>
> -user-net doesn't provide eth0 in your qemu host. It provides internet access
> only. To get full networking (eth0) you need to setup a tun device.
>
> -jm

Technically, tun doesn't provide eth0 for the host either. In fact, the
kernel documentation says you need to have eth0 first, or else you cant use
tuntap (that may no longer be true though, remember this is from the offical
kernel docs :). tuntap provides a tun0/tap0 device in the host and an eth0
device in the guest. user net should provide an eth0 as well, but it won't
add anything to the host.

If eth0 doesn't show, that may be due to lack of hardware support. Be sure
your kernel has support for the ne2k-pci module.

user net isn't just for internet access .. the guest can still access the LAN
or the WAN/intranet .. they just can't initiate a talk to it.