qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] i386 emulation: improved flag handing

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] i386 emulation: improved flag handing
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:21:17 -0700

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 13:52, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> Gianni Tedesco wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 14:58 +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> >
> >>Just for your information, my next developments will consist in
> >>improving QEMU performance in the x86 on x86 case to match (or exceed
> >>:-)) the VMware or VirtualPC level of performance. The downside is that
> >>some kernel support will be needed. The kernel support will of course
> >>remain optional. This mode of operation will replace 'qemu-fast'.
> >

> > Out of interest, can you describe what kind of kernel support will be
> > needed? (I take it you mean host kernel?)
>
> Yes, I meant a kernel module for the host kernel. The guest OS will run
> unmodified as with the current QEMU.

I think Gianni's asking what functionality would you implement in a
kernel mode that cannot be done in user mode.

I guess you plan to go somewhat in the direction of virtualization, ala
Plex86 or VmWare... by identifying code blocks as not needing
translation, capable of being run as is or somewhat modified they would
run much faster than the current dynamic translated code. I guess to
make that work you would need to deal with virtual memory in kernel
mode.

-- John.