qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?

From: Hetz Ben Hamo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:07:07 +0300

Although I'm not Fabrice, I'll try to answer your questions..

> What is the development schedule for Qemu?

Unknown at the moment ;)

> In other words, what priority is there for various things?

Looking at the CVS commits from Fabrice, I'd say it's in the features adding
stages, and some occasional bug fixing (see the Fedora core fixes for
example)

> Fabrice's recent comment about vastly speeding up Qemu got me thinking that
> perhaps it might be better to work on other things first.
>
> Don't misunderstand me... The recent discussion about performance
> improvements, and Fabrice's comments were *very* exciting.

Indeed, but I would suggest to wait for some more info from Fabrice until he
publishes somsthing..

> But I was just thinking that before you do the exciting and the 'sexy'
> things, that perhaps you should work on the more mundane things needed to
> make Qemu into a highly usable product.
>
> Like vastly improving the user interface.  Especially for Window's users
> (such as myself.)

Fabrice didn't do the Windows version port, someone else did it and I think
someone else is doing some front end for it (see my URL:
http://dad-answers.com/qemu/patches for win32 stuff)

[snip]
> As I said above, I'm not a developer.  So maybe I'm out of place even
> making these questions and comments.  If so, I apologize.  I do indeed
> think Qemu is an excellent project.  It's very exciting and that's why I'm
> here lurking.
>
> I'm just a little concerned that maybe qemu might always be an incomplete,
> un-stable, un-usable beta program.  An interesting program without the
> refinements and the polishing.
>
> If all you ever do is work on the exciting stuff, and fix the occasional
> problem, then the project may have trouble reaching the level of quality it
> should.
>
> That's why I was wondering what the project schedule actually was.  At what
> points are things going to be added or fixed or improved.
>
> Or is Qemu still in the "free for all" early development stage where people
> work on whatever exciting or sexy thing they feel like, with no actual plan
> or organization?

QEMU is a "one man show" (fabrice) while some other contribute stuff for it.
It's not being developed under a sponsorship and Fabrice does it in his free
time. Same thing goes with other features that people wrote and Fabrice
committed to CVS - they might continue develop it or not, but with open
source, someone else could possibly continue working on it..

If some white knight would approach fabrice and would suggest to sponsor the
QEMU development, then I think that QEMU will have roadmaps, scheduling and
other "sexy" stuff. For now - it's Fabrice "show" and others
contributions....

Hope it helps,
Thanks,
Hetz