qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:59:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Jeebs wrote:

> > For most, usability of an emulator can be summed up in one word: speed.
> > Any effort to address speed improvements (and at the same time,
> > stability which is ongoing) is core development.
>
> I think usability and accuracy tend to be a bit more important.

No, not really. What makes Qemu special is speed. If it wasn't for the
exceptional speed, I would not use it.

I don't want to be harsh, but for me it is only important that the stuff I
need works, the rest doesn't matter to me as long as I don't benefit from
it...

> I'm not really sure who the "core" developers are.  All I ever see is
> Fabrice.

I think he meant developers who work on the core of Qemu, i.e. the
emulator itself, not a front end.

> Everybody else just seems to be doing the occasional patch to fix some
> little aspect etc.

If you look at dad-answers, you will see that there are quite a few non
trivial patches implementing features which were implemented by quite a
few programmers.

> I've been lurking here for 3+ months and I'm not sure what organization, if
> any, there is in this project.

You might want to read about "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric S.
Raymond:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/

Fabrice started this project. When it was already quite usable, others
joined this mailing list, and since then there is a loose development
team. This is the beauty of "free as in free speech": you are free to do
what you want.

> That's the way it often is with open source porjects.  Everybody does their
> own thing when ever they feel like, and since most people don't like to do
> the "grunt" work, many important but less exciting issues often get pushed
> off to the side or only done "good enough for now".

If you want to do the "grunt" work, you are very welcome. I will never say
that open source projects are free as in free beer, i.e. you get something
for free. That just wouldn't be fair, right? A developer who spends time
and thought to implement something has to get something for it.

> And it was sort of a 'notice' to people that maybe it might be a good idea
> to start working on things that are at least as important, but aren't
> "sexy".

Again, read "The Cathedral and the Bazaar". You might want to learn to do
it yourself or to convince somebody who can.

Ciao,
Dscho