qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Sparc system emulation in progress

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Sparc system emulation in progress
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:12:00 +0200

Hi,

Just to avoid any duplicate work, I'd like to announce that I've been working on Sparc system level emulation. The emulation is not yet usable, a modified Linux kernel binary is loaded, it reprograms MMU, jumps to high memory, but crashes when it tries to access openprom (not implemented).

What is implemented:
Privileged instructions (somewhat complete, but buggy)
Sparc reference MMU (complete)

To do:
Openprom (Is there a FOSS one or even documentation? Otherwise make minimal stubs to get Linux running)
Hardware (serial, ethernet, scsi, probably not graphics nor keyboard)

The HW part needs a little thought. Sparc HW is memory-mapped, but there are separate address spaces, for example user data address space identifier is ASI 10, supervisor (kernel) 11, mmu regs 4 etc. I'd like to design a generic interface like used for i386 register_ioport_write and _read.

Any hackers out there with plenty of free time and know Sparc architecture?