qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?

From: Kai Cherry
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu development schedule?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:08:50 -0400

On Aug 31, 2004, at 1:23 PM, Gianni Tedesco wrote:

That must mean you find that task of adapting software to users
requirements fun? Or you wouldn't develop in that environment right? If
so, then you are in a good position to make these kinds of changes
happen in qemu for example... ;)

One of the *good* things about QEMU (besides Fabrice's brilliance) is in fact that it might be adaptable to something more than a mere "switch wrapper" gui.

GUI's for the sake of not opening the term are usually pretty bad, since most things that wrap with this in mind switch one kind of confusion for another.

The way qemu is coming along makes it fairly "tight" and I'm glad its not (yet) piling flag after flag onto the commandline. It should be fairly simple for a user to set up a "Linux 2.4" Virtual Session "document" for example...a lot like the way VirtualPC works.

The point I was trying to make, sort of in parallel to the "many questions" post that started this is that for most of the FOSS stuff I've tracked, end-user usability is either an afterthought, or, as some of the posts here seem to suggest, not a core consideration, if worth considering at all...with a sprinkle of "arcane equals superiority" liberally applied.

"If they can't figure it out, they don't deserve it" sort of mentality...as opposed to "if they can't figure it out then perhaps we have more work to do."

Making the "impossible" possible is a feat; making the impossible both "possible" and "brain dead simple" is a whole other class of engineering above that :)

Oddly enough, I have little interest in emulating a pc/pc os on my OS X machines (its just too slow for my taste) but moreso PPC OS's.