qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] USE_CODE_COPY breaks clone

From: Rafael Ávila de Espíndola
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] USE_CODE_COPY breaks clone
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:17:21 -0300

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 14:32, Rafael Ávila de Espíndola wrote:
> I think that the problem is in the fact that cpu_init is called in the
> parent process and this functions calls modify_ldt.
>
> Where can I found some documentation about modify_ldt? What is
> USE_CODE_COPY supposed to do?
Ok. It translate i386 to i386 code by copying it.

> I will try to call cpu_init from within the new thread and see if it works.
No it doesn't. If clone is called with CLONE_VM then the kernel does
mm = oldmm;
and both processes share the ldt. So the parent ldt is "also" changed when
cpu_init is called from clone_func.

I could not find out why it is necessary to modify the ltd of the process for
code copy to work. Is there some documentation? Could someone explain?

Does someone have an Idea of how to solve this?

Thanks,
Rafael