qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Sharing files between VMs and hosts

From: Mark Williamson
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Sharing files between VMs and hosts
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 02:14:15 +0100

Hi all,

I can't reply directly to the thread in question because my stupid mailclient
lost the relevant e-mails, grrrr.

Regarding disk-based file sharing between guest and host, which I saw
mentioned briefly (although the focus was on network-based sharing):
Some filesystems (e.g. I think Redhat uses one called GFS) which don't make
the assumption of a single writer.  These would typically be used for multiple
machines in a cluster accessing a SAN.  It should be possible to use such a
filesystem on a disk file and simultaneously write it in the guest and in the
host (which could mount it via loopback, if QEmu disks are just raw disk
images - are they?).

Using a normal filesystem with multiple writers is guaranteed to result in
corruption and having a single writer and other readers is likely to confuse
the readers (they may think the disk is spontaneously corrupting underneath
them!).

Of course, using special filesystems doesn't fix the windows compatibility
problem.  Another alternative would be to use NFS and run some kind of NFS
driver in a Windows VM... (does Cygwin have one?  Microsoft's UNIX
compatibility kit may have one).

My $0.02,
Cheers,
Mark