qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Feature request: integrated smb server?

From: Ng Pheng Siong
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Feature request: integrated smb server?
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:57:46 +0800

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 06:20:47PM -0700, David E. Still wrote:
> My "need" is for the guest OS to be able to read/write files in a
> folder on the host OS.  FTP can do it, but smb would be "easier" in the
> sense that the guest would see it as just another mounted disk.

I run Samba on my FreeBSD host and the Win98 guest mounts its shares. Works
fine. I've always used user-mode networking, never tried tun/tap.

> As I said, I run Mandrake 10.0 on my home computer.  I haven't had any
> Windows partitions for years, but I still like to fire up an
> occassional game using using WINE (either plain or Transgaming's
> Cedega/WineX).

Ah, so you want to mount the guest's shares from your host, to run your
game's installer under WINE directly from the guest's disk?  You can try
copying the game installer over from the guest to the host, and run the
installer directly on the host, instead.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <address@hidden>

http://firewall.rulemaker.net -+- Cisco PIX & Netscreen Config Version Control
http://sandbox.rulemaker.net/ngps -+- M2Crypto, ZServerSSL for Zope, Blog