qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Solaris_x86 HOST: Precompiled binaries in pkgadd format

From: Bochnig, Martin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Solaris_x86 HOST: Precompiled binaries in pkgadd format + 9 high res. Screenschots <http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~mbeinsx/>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:46:38 +0200

Juergen Keil wrote:

no slirp, because of compile problems in the slirp code?

I've the user mode network working in QEMU running on Solaris x86.
Tested with guest OS: Windows ME and Solaris x86.  Networking does not
work very well with a Windows 2000 guest.

For a Solaris x86 guest OS, I've build a "driver update floppy" that includes
Masayuki Murayama's "ni" driver (NE2000 driver), slightly patched for QEMU:

    http://www.tools.de/solaris/itu/
The "ni" driver can be added at install time, using "F4_Add driver" in the
DCA, if you run

    % qemu -cdrom sol-9-u7-x86-v1.iso -fda /tmp/DU.img -boot d solaris.img

When Solaris x86 is booted you should have a "ni0" interface. The network
interface can be configured with "ifconfig ni0 dhcp".

Juergen,

you're the best one.

In secret I knew you would have it running.

Yes - too much compile time errors.
Missing include files, parsing errors (caused by the partly missing, partly incompatible) *.h files.

All that eats my time and I will get into struggle, if I do not stop now (for this year).
But I wanted to build a first publicly available pkgadd package.

I'm just going to make some PR for QEMU.
(www.solariscentral.org)
Let's se, whether they will accept my submission.

I also plan to ask both www.sunfreeware.com and SUNW's Companion CD department.
It would help Solaris to compete against VMware based systems.

Of course your help is *very* appreciateb by me, as you have lots more UNIX programming experience, knowledge == background than me.

Finally going to bed now (yesterday's session);

best regards,
Martin