qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Host API escape

From: Derek Fawcus
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Host API escape
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 06:07:26 +0100

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:43:00PM -0400, EricNorthup wrote:
> Ok, I think the things you can achieve with this mechanism are very
> exciting.  But please, *please* do not make another fork in x86!

Huh?  What do you mean by "another fork in x86"?  Or are you simply
referring to the fact that I've (re)defined a special instruction?

> What if you use the WRMSR instructions instead?  Then you can define
> MSRs which have certain behavior when written to / read from.  The whole
> point of MSRs is that they are model-specific, and that is the way to do
> this compatibly.

Hmm - a possibility.

I can look at changing to that once I've got the redir stuff working.
My initial concern was actually not to use / change any target visible
register,  so that I can inject this anywhere as a debug hook - where
it's currently quite useful.

DF