qemu-devel

Re(4): [Qemu-devel] Cloop-patch and Knoppix example

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re(4): [Qemu-devel] Cloop-patch and Knoppix example
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:18:26 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Ronald wrote:

> I just tried that but that don't work either, and I suspect -merely a
> guess- this is not related to block driver but to kernel loading -see my
> other post on that-. Perhaps someone else will have it working -and I'll
> know that's my build which is bad-. At least your patch doesn't break
> win32 compilation and qemu still run when using bootable disk image.

I just completed a build (had to dig out a Windows machine first...). What
you described happened to me also: -kernel does not work.

I tracked it down a bit more. It seems that in function load_kernel() in
hw/pc.c:291, a read(fd,real_addr,512) does return 511 reproducibly.
However, if you change this to 513, it returns 512! The ways of
Microsoft...

Unfortunately, this does not help things. Even if the initrd is read
completely, Knoppix then gets stuck somewhere. When I have more time, I
will investigate that.

Ciao,
Dscho