qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU on Fedora Core 2 - 64bit Opteron

From: Mike Mazarick
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU on Fedora Core 2 - 64bit Opteron
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:30:14 -0400

I have been trying to get QEMU host working on a Fedora Core 2 with 2
Opteron processors using kernel 2.6.7 and QEMU 0.6.0.

I have been successful at installing prebuilt binaries on a RH9 partition
(proving in the hardware), but when I compile it for FC2, I get a black
screen (sometimes it has "hashmarks"), but no indication of operation
(doesn't start to boot, no keyboard response, etc).   When I hit the
"system-reset" command in the terminal, the screen goes grey instead of
black, but still no keybard input.  There is often a segmentation failure,
and the behavior is a little "random" between occasional seg faults and the
other behavior as described above.

I've made modifications as suggested (thanks, Hetz, for the suggestions, I
would never have guessed!) to LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.14 (this setting works,
the 2.2.5 doesn't) and to /proc/sys/rtc/max-usr-freq (setting it to 1024).

I have not tried mucking with the Makefile or setting any compiler options
yet (or any kind of "non-user level" debugging);

In order to make the debug a little simpler, I'd like to know:

1) Has anyone been able to get QEMU host working with FC2 in a 64 bit
multiprocessor arrangement?  How about singe processor?
2) Has anyone been able to get QEMU host working with another 64 bit Linux
distribution (SUSE, Koppix, Mandrake, etc.)?
3) Is QEMU host working with FC2 in 32 bit mode?
4) Is there some combination of previous QEMU versions that work (even
"partially") with a 2.6.X kernel?  I would prefer to stay at this release
due to features it has supporting some new file systems (LVM type stuff)I
would like to use in dicing up my raid array on the system.

I'll take any clues, guesses, experiences, etc.  If anyone else is
interested, I would be glad to provide a "testbed" for Fedora 64 bit QEmu
configs.  If possible, please provide any setup (Makefile, etc.) or
"specials" that needed to be changed to make it operational.

Regards,

Mike Mazarick