qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu -serial pty bug and serial/slirp considerations

From: Johannes Martin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu -serial pty bug and serial/slirp considerations
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:47:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

when I run qemu -serial -pty I get output like:
        char device redirected to @ยก<@ T<@address@hidden

This is because vl.c calls openpty() as follows:
            if (openpty(&master_fd, &slave_fd, slave_name, NULL, NULL) < 0)
while in slirp/misc.c openpty() expects only two parameters (current CVS).

Well, by looking in /proc/<pid>/fd I can find out which pty qemu opened so
there's no real harm done.

I just successfully attached a pppd to the qemu pty and finally got a
stable network connection working in my OS/2 Warp 4 guest. I should have
thought about this before rather than trying to get NE2000 and PCNET to
work in OS/2.

Thinking on this line, it would be really neat to be able to attach the
qemu-internal slirp to the virtual com port so any guest could access
SLIP/ppp through the serial port (ppp needs root permissions and I haven't
figured out how to run slirp proper on a pty - any hints?).

        Johannes