qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ix64 target support

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ix64 target support
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:50:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Joe Batt wrote:

> qemu doesn't yet support a ix64 target.  How far are we from that?  Is
> anyone working on it?  Is it as simple as implementing some extra
> opcodes or are there fundamental issues?

There is nobody working on an ix64 target that I know of. BTW, you mean
x86_64, don't you? It should be as "easy" as implementing the opcodes.
AFAIK, the 64-bit mode of Opteron is not just a few extra opcodes, but
instead a whole new mode (like protected mode).  Also, you'd have to use a
few quirks to work with 64-bit numbers (for an example see op_smul_T1_T0
in target_sparc/op.c).

> I've implemented a simple sh2 emulator in a previous project; I
> understand just a little of how qemu might work.  I may be able to help.

This sounds like a very cool project to me. Unfortunately, I am quite busy
at work, and my pet right now is to make QEmu work on an IRIX machine, but
I sure would like to see that target one day.

Ciao,
Dscho