qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot options.

From: Herbert Poetzl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot options.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:53:42 +0200

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 09:57:48PM +0200, Martin Moeller wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> In some rare cases I would like to be able to boot off what will essentially
> be /dev/hdc in Qemu (this is because the machine the image I boot is meant
> for uses hdc for flash cards).
> In 0.6.0 that is not possible since -boot c = /dev/hda and -boot d = cdrom.
> Could this functionality be expanded somewhat without too much trouble?
> I guess something like -boot hd:1-4 (maybe hd:0-3?)  and ditto cd: or cdrom:
> entries? Can I somehow force this to happen? Maybe with a floppy image
> booting off hdc?

probably using a bootload might be sufficient,
luckily there are many different bootloaders
available (like lilo or grub) which can be used
for this ...

e.g. from the grub manual:

     # cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc
     # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
     1+0 records in
     1+0 records out
     # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
     153+1 records in
     153+1 records out
     #

now adapting this a little, you get

     # cat stage1/stage1 stage2/stage2 >grub.fd

and you can boot that with

     # qemu -m 16 -fda grub.fd -boot a

HTH,
Herbert