qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] BeOS/Zeta eats 100% cpu time

From: André Braga
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] BeOS/Zeta eats 100% cpu time
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:07:38 -0300

Uh, so you meant having 100% use of CPU on the host machine?

That could be explained by acceleration too. AFAIK, on VESA/monochrome
mode, BeOS has to repaint the entire screen every time something
changes (like the clock on the deskbar). This is not that heavy on the
guest CPU, but on the emulated bus timings and         video
bandwidth, which IMO is the biggest bottleneck of QEMU. That could be
the reason, but I may be wrong on my assertment.

There are drivers for several S3 models available to BeOS, but those
are hardly all the models made by S3. The only two solutions I can
think of is to write a new graphic card emulation layer for QEMU,
which supports the instruction set of a specific, supported card on
BeOS, or to write a new driver for BeOS which drives the Cirrus card
QEMU currently emulates.

--
"Wherever you go, There you are"
Buckaroo Banzai