qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] BeOS/Zeta eats 100% cpu time

From: Christian Wiese
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] BeOS/Zeta eats 100% cpu time
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:27:23 +0200

André Braga wrote:

Uh, so you meant having 100% use of CPU on the host machine?

Sorry to be imprecise. The guest (BeOS) is more or less in an idle state. The host (WinXP) uses 100% cpu time.

That could be explained by acceleration too. AFAIK, on VESA/monochrome
mode, BeOS has to repaint the entire screen every time something
changes (like the clock on the deskbar). This is not that heavy on the
guest CPU, but on the emulated bus timings and         video
bandwidth, which IMO is the biggest bottleneck of QEMU. That could be
the reason, but I may be wrong on my assertment.

No, I don´t think so, because even if I minimize the qEmu window and nothing changes in BeOS (clock changes only every minute, not second), the host-CPU is at 100%.

There are drivers for several S3 models available to BeOS, but those
are hardly all the models made by S3. The only two solutions I can
think of is to write a new graphic card emulation layer for QEMU,
which supports the instruction set of a specific, supported card on
BeOS, or to write a new driver for BeOS which drives the Cirrus card
QEMU currently emulates.

I meant: is it possible to activate the old S3 card emulation or was it never finished? Because when it is possible, I can search for a driver. If not, I´ll try to write a Cirrus driver, but this would take some time, because I´m just looking into some network-driver development.

Greetings,
Chris