qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU feature idea: simple macros/scripting

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU feature idea: simple macros/scripting
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:40:09 -0700

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 17:19, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> I started to write a vnc frontend for QEmu. On the other end, I started to
> write a scriptable vnc viewer. The use of this? Macros/Scripting for QEmu,
> but also Macros/Scripting for everything which can be controlled by a
> vncviewer. For now, I use an adaption of vncrec, which just records inputs
> and timestamps, and play those inputs back later.

Sounds like your solution would work for me as well. I hadn't thought of
using vnc and related tools.

I'm not sure what kind of integration makes sense, if any.

A record/playback feature could be

1) In QEMU proper wedged between the QEMU and the guest, hooked into the
data traffic
2) In a front end to QEMU which just communicates through a
to-be-implemented API; basically still #1 just architecturally different
3) In a completely separate utility that knows nothing about QEMU and
just deals with X. Such utilities exist for X
4) In a VNC viewer
5) In the guest only; such utilities exist for Windows and probably some
other OSes.

Not sure what the pros/cons are exactly. (5) can be ruled out since you
wouldn't be able to script at the QEMU level (saving/loading system
state images and such, and not all OSes necessarily have good utilities
for recording and playing back such events.

-- John.