qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ne2000 savevm patch, 2nd try

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ne2000 savevm patch, 2nd try
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 16:19:44 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

> OK for the NE2000 savevm. For the PCI, I will commit your patch, but it
> needs further thinking because we must distinguish what is in the VM
> "state" and what is in the VM configuration. For example 'pci->devfn' or
> 'pci->name' is in the configuration, so it is not useful to save them.
>
> The big issue is: should 'loadvm' reconfigure the VM too ?

I think to a certain extent, yes. For example, when the guest OS
configured a device, this configuration should be loaded again. On the
other hand, if you start qemu with a different virtual hard disk, that
should be okay.

The principal question should always be: If I work with QEmu, then savevm,
can I continue working after restarting QEmu and loadvm?

Like I said, it was a quick shot to begin with. But its easier to work
from a known working state, and then remove what should be removed. Later
this week I will give it some love.

Ciao,
Dscho