qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Port to IRIX host

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Port to IRIX host
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 08:41:32 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Fabrice Bellard wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> >
> > I tried to find another ABI, and as you can find in Makefile.target, I use
> > the -mno-abicalls option to gcc, exactly for that reason. As I stated in
> > the Remarks section of my documentation: after many experiments I just
> > gave up and coded it in assembly. BTW I did not know one thing about MIPS
> > assembler before starting this little project, so my code is very likely
> > not to be optimal.
>
> OK. I am sure there is a better solution for the op parameters, but this
> is not critical since your solution is working.

You're right. I will give it another try.

> > Other ideas? Of course: Next step is a target-mips ;-)
>
> target-mips would be very good and not difficult to add. It would be
> useful to some people as mips CPUs are used in many embedded devices.
> Moreover you could finish to learn mips assembler :-)

;-)

Time permitting, I will start that.

> I think I won't commit it before the 0.6.1 release, except maybe for the
> documentation.

As you changed the version number on Wednesday, 't can't be long. And
there is some work left for the IRIX port.

> > In order to deal with those unaligned accesses in hw/vga_template.h, I
> > introduced a macro "stl_host", which stores an unaligned uin32_t in host
> > byte order. Should this rather be "stlu_host", and defined in cpu-all.h?
>
> Maybe using cpu_to_xxx macros would suffice ? I have not looked at your
> VGA patches yet.

It is just a

#ifdef WORDS_BIGENDIAN
#define stl_host cpu_to_be32wu
#else
#define stl_host cpu_to_le32wu
#endif

> > A question: i386-user is supposed to only run linux binaries, right? What
> > are the reasons that it is disabled on Windows? Could there be a way to
> > make it run on Windows, and also on IRIX?
>
> It would need to code a Linux emulation. I think it is better to spend
> time on improving the system emulation !

Well, I am no crack when it comes to device drivers... And I really like
the idea of running Linux-i386 binaries on IRIX... Furthermore, I strongly
believe that versatile code is clean code.

Ciao,
Dscho