qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] env in TLS

From: Piotr Krysik
Subject: [Qemu-devel] env in TLS
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:32:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

Fabrice, how about moving env variable to TLS?

This could improve performance (based on
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2004-09/msg00294.html

about 10% could be gained -- need to verify). Also
additional register would be available for op.c
(anyone to implement register renaming?).

The main problem with this approach is portability.
AFAIK GCC <= 3.2 doesn't recognize __thread keyword.
For x86 we could fall-back to the LDT method from
qemu-fast. How about other platforms? In the worst
case we could use global variable and forget about
multi-processor qemu-softmmu and multi-thread in
qemu-user for some platforms in the future.

Comments?

Piotrek