qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] new feature: attach a process to emulated serial port

From: André Braga
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] new feature: attach a process to emulated serial port
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 12:22:37 -0300

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:26:30 +0100, Derek Fawcus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hmm.  How about simply using FIFO's instead,  then one doesn't have any
> issues with fork/system/etc

> set both of the above.  Then one can simply do:
>
> mkfifo /tmp/serin /tmp/serout
> anycmd < /tmp/serout > /tmp/serin &
> qemu ... -serialin /tmp/serin -serialout /tmp/serialout

That would make this feature available only on operating systems that
support user-created named pipes. IOW, named pipes do exist on
Windows, but they're not easy to access by the user.

Forking is a more universal approach, as I see it.

cheers,
A.

--
"A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God"
Alan J. Perlis