qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] new feature: attach a process to emulated serial port

From: André Braga
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] new feature: attach a process to emulated serial port
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:03:52 -0300

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:47:22 +0100, Derek Fawcus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yeah - but they're the only interesting ones :-)  Hmm is it so easy
> to connect process with a bi-dir like pipe on Windows (NT) machines?

I do agree that Windows is garbage, but if you consider QEMU an
entry-level tool to ease migration to more robust platforms, then it
becomes interesting to actively support 'Doze.

> Hmm - SFU?  The recent versions (w2k/xp only) are supposed to be very unix
> like,  but even the earlier version would probably support fifo's well
> enougth.

Posix is supported as a subsystem in 2k, but in XP M$ stripped it out.
One would have to download the Interix subsystem (SFU), which is
farily large. Hardly an option to push onto users if forking is much
simpler.

> Modulo the above proviso?  Is there the ability to create "proper" pipes
> between
> processes on NT from native win32 code?

Yes, there is, from native win32 *code*. Not by userland tools (which
kills the 'mkfifo' approach). At least I haven't stumbled upon one
that does exactly this. 3rd party included.

--
"A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God"
Alan J. Perlis