qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] env in TLS

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] env in TLS
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:01:09 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:

> So if your compiler doesn't support __thread, all threads will effectively
> be using the very same "thread-local" variables, is that what you were
> intending?

Basically, yes. Of course, this only works if __thread is only used for
performance reasons, not for real thread local variables (which wouldn't
work on those architectures and older gcc's anyway). Maybe it would be
cleaner to use another name, which spells out what we are doing with it,
like ATTRIBUTE_USE_TLS_FOR_PERFORMANCE ;-)

Ciao,
Dscho