qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Re: Problem with embedded SDL window

From: Anand Kumria
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: Problem with embedded SDL window
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 03:53:39 +1000

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:51:07 +0200, Fred Schaettgen wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 October 2004 15:04, Anand Kumria wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:25:41 +0200, Fred Schaettgen wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm currently working on a little external gui for qemu which embeds
>> > the SDL window into its application window. It works quite well so
>> > far, but I've got some problems with grabbing the mouse.
>>
>> Cool! I've been working on something similiar. Are you using XEmbed?
>> I've just been trawling through the SDL code because I wanted to stop
>> it from mapping until the user had asked the VM to run.
>
> Yes, that's another problem. At the moment the SDL window pops up for a
> moment before it is swallowed by the gui. I don't think this can be
> fixed without a little support from qemu.

I believe the problem is with SDL for that particularly. From talking over
the problem with some other people they suggest I can reparenting qemu's
window and unmap it if I had lower-level access to X.

> You say you're working on something similar - what exactly do you have
> in mind? And what other (Linux-)GUIs for qemu are there? I only know
> about kqemu so far.

I wasn't aware of kqemu, thanks for the pointer. What I'm working on was
originally intended to be familiar to someone who has used VMware. I've
gotten side-tracked recently into looking SDL and seeing how to more move
parameters from the command line into the monitor (like boot for example).

As well as using GTK2 via Perl, which I haven't done before, I'm trying
out Glade. If you are interested I've got an Arch repository at:
        archive: address@hidden/gtkqemu--devel--0
        location: http://www.progsoc.org/~wildfire/arch/projects

> I am also interested into some "official" comment on external GUIs. I've
> searched the archives a little, but I don't know in which direction qemu
> will

I read in the archives that Fabrice wants an internal GUI, so it looks
like we have some competition. ;-)

Cheers,
Anand

--