qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] softmmu thoughts

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] softmmu thoughts
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:41:42 +0200

Hi,

The idea is interesting. Here are several suggestions:

- It would be more efficient and simpler to map one 4KB host memory page every 8 KB. Then you can have a fixed mmap() mapping (no syscall overhead to change the mappings) and a simple way to handle unaligned accesses. - The critical point would be to keep standard soft MMU accesses for device access. An architectural change is needed to do that, but it seems easy to add. - This patch should work with qemu, not qemu-fast. The future of qemu-fast is to use a kernel module to have near native performances. It is not worthwhile to invest time in soft MMU or dynamic translation when you can just execute the code as is !

Fabrice.

Piotras wrote:
Hi,

The patch currently supports only x86 Linux host and requires that you are able to build working Qemu-fast. These limitations can be relaxed in the future. Also building qemu-fast may not be easy with some distributions. If you need assistance please post details of your environment -- hopefully somebody will be able to help.

You may need to download Qemu source and test Linux image:
  http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-0.6.0.tar.gz
  http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/linux-test-0.5.1.tar.gz

Then create a build directory and run:
  > tar -zxf _PATH_TO_qemu-0.6.0.tar.gz
  > tar -zxf _PATH_TO_linux-test-0.5.1.tar.gz
  > cd qemu-0.6.0
  > ./configure --target-list=i386
  > make

Test qemu-fast:
  > ./i386/qemu-fast -L pc-bios -hda ../linux-test/linux.img

Then build patched version:
  > patch -p1 < _PATH_TO_fast-map-env-2.patch
  > make clean
  > make

Test patched Qemu-fast:
  > ./i386/qemu-fast -no-code-copy -L pc-bios -hda ../linux-test/linux.img

Notice that the patch is very experimental,

Piotrek