qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] enabling bus-master IDE driver

From: Jason Brittain
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] enabling bus-master IDE driver
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 13:52:11 -0800

Johannes Schindelin wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Jason Brittain wrote:

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

Are you sure you did as guest root? This error could happen if you try to
use hdparm as a plain user.

I was most certainly logged in as root in the guest Linux
when I did that.

I would expect a different error if the drive
is not capable of doing DMA.

Well, I haven't seen other situations where drives were
incapable of DMA, so I don't know, but "Operation not
permitted" seems to fit.

How else should I check whether DMA can be turned on?

--
Jason Brittain