qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: [ros-dev] Ekush

From: Filip Navara
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: [ros-dev] Ekush
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:10:58 +0100

Filip Navara wrote:

Thomas Weidenmueller wrote:

Filip Navara wrote:

AFAIK they actually don't violate the GPL as long as they will send the source code on request (see GPL section 3). This doesn't mean that we shouldn't mail them and clear out the situation though...

But i really doubt it's legal to remove copyright information. Remember, we still own the copyright, we just permit others to use the sources as the license says. Which, as I understand it, implies they must not remove copyrights, neither from binaries nor from sources. We don't have access to the sources but they changed all copyright information in the file properties of the binaries. What they do is not just insolent (by not giving credit to the real creators) but also illegal.

True, it's illegal to misrepresent the origin and remove copyright information. I haven't seen the released binaries, so I reacted only based on the information in the mails...

Now I got the binaries too. Not that they only misrepresent the origin of ReactOS, but they also did the same with QEMU. It looks like they got the 0.6 release, renamed QEMU to EmuPC and changed the copyright strings in it.

- Filip