qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Using Qemu to install Linux in a Windows XP disk image

From: André Braga
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Using Qemu to install Linux in a Windows XP disk image
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:01:31 -0300

Hi,

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:51:56 -0500, Brett Bonfield <address@hidden> wrote:
<snip>
> QemuInstall-0.6.0 (installed to C:\Program Files\Qemu):
> dd if=SimplyMEPIS-2004.04.iso of=MEPIS.img bs=1k seek=3071999 count=1
> < this created the image >
> qemu -hda hd.img -cdrom SimplyMEPIS-2004.04.iso -boot d -user-net
> < this didn't seem to do anything >

Try:
qemu -L . -hda hd.img -cdrom SimplyMEPIS-2004.04.iso -boot d -user-net

> Boot from Hard Disk 0 failed
> FATA: Not a bootable disk
> <end QemuMenu.bat error>
> Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Again, thank you for reading
> through such a long message.

It seems that the batch file is trying to boot the hard drive image
instead of the ISO image. Obviously, since the HD image hasn't been
initialized with a proper OS, it will fail.

Appearently the batch file worked because it passes the "-L ." flag to
QEMU, but sticked to bootin the HD by default.

I hope that's it, and now everything should work OK. Let me know :)

Cheers,
A.

--
"A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God"
Alan J. Perlis