qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Using Qemu to install Linux in a Windows XP

From: Brett Bonfield
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Using Qemu to install Linux in a Windows XP
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:18:59 -0500

> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:01:31 -0300
> From: Andr? Braga <address@hidden >

<snip>

> > QemuInstall-0.6.0 (installed to C:\Program Files\Qemu):
> > dd if=SimplyMEPIS-2004.04.iso of=MEPIS.img bs=1k seek=3071999 count=1
> > < this created the image >
> > qemu -hda hd.img -cdrom SimplyMEPIS-2004.04.iso -boot d -user-net
> > < this didn't seem to do anything >
>
> Try:
> qemu -L . -hda hd.img -cdrom SimplyMEPIS-2004.04.iso -boot d -user-net

I created the hd.img with dd for Win32, then typed the command directly above.

With QemuInstall-20041111 I get:

qemu:  could not load PC bios './bios.bin'

With QemuInstall-0.6.0:

I just get another command prompt--it seems as though nothing at all
is happening.

> > Boot from Hard Disk 0 failed
> > FATA: Not a bootable disk
> > <end QemuMenu.bat error>
> > Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Again, thank you for reading
> > through such a long message.
>
> It seems that the batch file is trying to boot the hard drive image
> instead of the ISO image. Obviously, since the HD image hasn't been
> initialized with a proper OS, it will fail.
>
> Appearently the batch file worked because it passes the "-L ." flag to
> QEMU, but sticked to bootin the HD by default.
>
> I hope that's it, and now everything should work OK. Let me know :)
>
> Cheers,
> A.

Thanks for the response. I hope the error message I got make sense to you.

Also, zitu, thank you for your suggestion, but the documentation
supplied with Make-a-file.exe doesn't make it clear to me how I would
use the program in this situation.

I really appreciate everyone's patience with me,

Brett