qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] whats up with QEMU and virtual disks?

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] whats up with QEMU and virtual disks?
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:18:16 +0100

Fabrice Bellard wrote:

* Provide a simple script to convert from the old to new format?

I repeat: there is _no_ "old" or "new" disk image format. Raw disk images are exactly the same in every QEMU version...

However, when formatting the disk, Windows or MSDOS may write the current BIOS geometry in it, and it is likely to be the problem.

If I disable the BIOS translation (for example by commenting 'bdrv_set_geometry_hint()' or by removing 'rtc_set_memory(s, 0x39, val)' in hw/pc.c), then NT 4.0 won't see disks bigger than 512 MB. So a better solution must be found.

Fabrice.