qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img documentation

From: Panagiotis Issaris
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img documentation
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:42:56 +0100

Hi,

Jason Brittain wrote:

ML wrote:

---
Fabrice Bellard said the following on 11/16/2004 02:46 AM:

Try my last fix. The important fix is in hw/ide.c:ide_guess_geometry(). I think the problem is that after reboot when installing ide_guess_geometry() returns an invalid geometry because the BIOS translated geometry is stored in the MBR instead of the real hard disk geometry.

For the desperate user, I added an option to manually specify the BIOS translation mode.

With this fix now I can boot XP images newly created with 0.6.1 but I can't boot any longer my older images created with versions < 0.6.1 unless I specify hda geometry on the command line.

This is going to cause lots of people to not be able to figure out
how to use qemu anymore after an upgrade.  For example, even if I
knew that I needed to use the -hdachs option (pronounced "headaches"),
how would I know what geometry numbers to give it?  I'm not real
good with this sort of thing, and I haven't found any docs yet that
try to explain it from the perspective of a VM user.  I know, I know,
you can't have everything.  But, I do think this will cause users
repeated hdachs.  :)

I've used "fdisk c.img" and used the reported values as parameters
for hdachs. This together with specifying the bios translating mode
enabled me to boot old qemu images again.

So, I used:
"fdisk c.img"

Used the p command to print the partition table, which also
shows the necessary disk information:
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4161cylinders

And started qemu:
"qemu -hda c.img -hdachs 4161,16,63,none"

Worked for me, but I don't know if fdisk is always
right.

With friendly regards,
Takis

Panagiotis Issaris