qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] question for QEMU users

From: jeebs
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] question for QEMU users
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:52:19 -0600

> What plugin for QEMU would you consider to buy and for what terms
> (support etc) and how much would you pay?

Not a lot, since I already have vmware....  And it'd have to be fully open
source.  Otherwise there's not much point is changing from a closed source
vmware.

> * X86 plugin (to make QEMU use kenel mode and have at least VMWare
> speed and performance)

The only way I'd be willing to consider paying for qemu is if it was good
enough for me to give up vmware.

1) Which means it could run under Windows fast enough to actually use.

2) And also, if at all possible, have video performance good enough it would
actually be possible to play some games, watch dvd's, etc.

3) And, of course, by that time you'd have fine tuned the rest of the program
to better emulate hardware, etc. etc. etc.

In other words, actually good enough you could really use it as a real second
computer, rather than as an emulated computer.

Number 1 is going to be an issue because it looks like Fabrice's future high
speed plans will only work under Linux.