qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img documentation

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-img documentation
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:56:36 -0500

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 09:09:49AM +0100, ML wrote:
> Hdparm -g exits with a "Value too large for defined data type" message in
> both cases.

This is a known problem with 32-bit linux programs in general ... to handle
files larger than 2GB, the linux program must use fseeko(), ftello(), etc
and then it must have been compiled with large file support. This problem
doesn't exist on 64-bit archs where fseek(), ftell(), etc return 64bit
integers.

I have never used hdparm so I can't give any more info on it (tho I would
expect that hdparm should have no problem with >2GB files as most actual hard
disks are larger than this) but I have seen this problem with grep and file
(my versions are quite old).