qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu code copy

From: Piotras
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu code copy
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:01:34 +0100

Hi!

Code copy works by executing original code blocks (no translation
is performed) when possible. If the block contains memory access
instruction, it can be executed in code-copy mode only when virtual
memory of emulated CPU is visible as qemu process virtual memory.
This is what qemu-fast does with mmap.

I think that in practice nearly all code blocks contain memory access
instructions. If so, it's not worth to enable code-copy for qemu-soft.

Probably it's possible to build simple code translator that would
translate only memory access instructions and execute most of
the other instructions natively.

Regards,

Piotrek