qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows Update on guest

From: Darryl Dixon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows Update on guest
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:05:26 +1300

Hi William,

    I have successfully used Windows Update for both a Windows 98 guest and Windows 2003 guest (Linux host).  I have posted to this list previously the setup that I use, but briefly:
tun/tap enabled in host kernel (most distros this is a default)
run qemu with -n qemu-ifup
contents of qemu-ifup:
#!/bin/bash

/sbin/iptables --flush      #Clear out all old rules.  You will want to customise this step.

echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward       #Enable IP Forwarding for the host OS

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE   #Enable MASQUERADEing on the real eth0 NIC

/sbin/ifconfig $1 192.168.0.254         #Bring up tun0 - guest OS NIC should be on the same subnet with
                                        #a different address; tun0 should be its gateway.

After that just manually configure your guest to use a static IP address and some external DNS servers and you're away.

Cheers,