qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion: default to -monitor stdio

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Suggestion: default to -monitor stdio
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:59:13 -0500

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 05:38:12PM +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I've just started using QEMU - and, since this is my first post here,
> I'd like to begin by saying thank you very much.
> Anyway, just a suggestion:
>
> I think that the default for -monitor in graphical mode ought to be
> stdio. I don't know where "vc" actually goes, but when I launch qemu
> from a konsole (in kde), the monitor is unavailable, unless I add the option
>
> -monitor stdio

This used to be the default (in fact, the only version available for the
monitor)
until 0.6.0

The default was made -monitor vc because in Windows stdio didn't work.
It only works in windows if you include windows specific code to attach a
console to the process ... which Fabrice choose not to include (but which is
in the windows port of qemu i believe). This is annoying for non-windows
users of qemu, but at least it is consistent across host OSes this way.

You need to do a 'Ctrl-Alt-1' or 'Ctrl-Alt-2' as I recall, to use the VC
monitor.