qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Two issues in using Windows XP SP2 as host system

From: Brett Bonfield
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Two issues in using Windows XP SP2 as host system
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:00:50 -0500

Sorry for contributing nothing but bug reports (or very possibly
reports on ways in which my systme isn't configured properly):

1. It was really useful to learn that "under WindowsXP, as well as
invoking qemu with --enable-audio, it's necessary to go to Control
panel -> Add/Remove Hardware and manually add the SoundBlaster 16."
Unfortunately, when I did this I got a ""This device cannot start
(Code 10)" error. Googling revealed this to be fairly common, and not
just with the SoundBlaster 16 -- any wonder why I very much want to
install Linux? -- but Googling revealed no workarounds that seemed to
apply to this situation.

2. I downloaded and installed the latest Qemu win32 daily (20041124 )
in order to take advantage of the work that's been done with
qemu-img.exe and QEMUMenu.bat. When I start QEMUMenu.bat I am given
the choice to [C]reate Image File, which executes as

qemu0img.exe create -f "raw" "MEPIS.img" "3000M"
Formating 'MEPIS.img' , fmt=raw, size=3072000 kB

Windows Explorer shows the resulting image as 0 kb and when I choose
to boot Qemu using the image, I get

Starting C:\Program Files\Qemu\MEPIS.img ...

qemu.exe -L "Program Files\Qemu\bios\" -m 128 -hda "C:\Program
Files\Qemu\MEPIS.img" -enable-audio -localtime
Press any key to continue . . .

and then the command prompt window closes and nothing happens.

Again, I appreciate everyone's patience and responsiveness. For what
it's worth, the document I've been keeping on how to install Linux on
a Windows box, the one I hope to publish on the web at some point,
keeps getting shorter and shorter and shorter as you make improvements
to your amazing software.

Thanks,

Brett