qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Has anyone got tun/tap network running on WinXp host /

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Has anyone got tun/tap network running on WinXp host / Linux guest ?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:22:18 -0500

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:11:21PM -0600, M. Khalid Khan wrote:
> I must confess my ignorance but I'm having no luck in setting up a tun/tap
> network between WinXP host and Suse Linux guest.

You mean Linux guest and WinXP host I assume? As there is no support for tuntap
in a Windows host, and never will. (Windows doesn't directly provide the
mechisms
need to do this. I am aware of two alternatives: the easy way is to set up VPN
through user-net, the hard way is to patch qemu to use winpcap.)

> BTW user-net is working
> great but I need the emulated system to be a full fledged server. From what
> I can gather by reading the docs and messages, QEMU needs a script to setup
> tun/tap network ( by default /etc/qemu-ifup ). Unless I totally missed it,
> this script must be on the host OS. Now my host OS being WinXP, I don't
> have any "/etc" or any linux like scripts. Is there an alternate
> script/batch file for Windows? If not, what is the alternative?

Look up the -redir option.