qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] SAMBA support in QEMU

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] SAMBA support in QEMU
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:59:29 +0100

Adrian Smarzewski wrote:

I can run it as root only. What files must be writable for user to run smbd via qemu?

bash-2.05b$ /usr/sbin/smbd -i
smbd version 3.0.8 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2004
file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 1004 are available.
bind failed on port 445 socket_addr = 0.0.0.0.

I think smb support is "root-only" or is near it :(
Any ideas?

QEMU gives specific commands to smbd so that it can be run as non root (in particular, it uses stdio to communicate with smbd instead of a priviledged socket with a port < 1024). I think your problem comes from the fact that you use smbd version 3. I only tested QEMU with the version 2.

The solution would be either to support version 3 or to include the smbd code in QEMU so that we can be sure it behaves as expected.

Fabrice.